The South Stokes High School girls varsity tennis team is at a slight disadvantage due to the fact that its primarily a young team, but according to head coach Darren Redding, the players are working hard to fill the monster sized shoes that last year’s seniors left vacant.
“We still want to be competitive and win championships,” Redding said.
The team has one senior player, Jenny Smith, who has been on the team for four years now and currently serves as the captain of the team.
Other players include juniors Abby Quesenberry, Antoinette France, Hannah Fisher, Hannah King, Kaitlin Tow, and sophomore Harmony Templon.
“These girls have been waiting in the wings,” Redding said.
The coach described last season as being very successful and said a lot of people are counting on the team to perform as well as it has in years past.
“The stage has been set and that’s what everyone is expecting,” Redding said.
“We’ve got some work to do, there’s no question about it.”
Redding explained this year’s team has brought in new and fresh players which has contributed to the new dynamic of the team.
“They’ve seen what hard work is and now it’s their turn to step up,” he said.
The team started practices bright and early on Aug. 1 in preparation for the season.
The first match for the team was on Aug. 16 against Rockingham County, with the team performing 1-8.
“I’m not so concerned about wins and losses, but quality playing,” Redding said.
This is the coach’s eighth season with the program and he’s also an alumni of South Stokes.
“It’s an outlet for me and the girls,” Redding said.
Matches for the team’s upcoming season include:
- Aug. 30 against Rockingham County at 4 p.m. at South Stokes High School
- Sept. 1 against McMichael at 4 p.m. at McMichael High School
- Sept. 6 against North Surry at 4:30 p.m. at North Surry High School
- Sept. 7 against East Surry at 4 p.m. at South Stokes High School
- Sept. 8 against McMichael at 4 p.m. at South Stokes High School
- Sept. 13 against Forbush at 4 p.m. at South Stokes High School
- Sept. 14 against East Surry at 4:30 p.m. at East Surry High School
- Sept. 15 against Surry Central at 4:30 p.m. at Surry Central High School
- Sept. 19 against North Stokes at 4:30 p.m. at North Stokes High School
- Sept. 20 against West Stokes at 4:30 p.m. at West Stokes High School
- Sept. 22 against North Surry at 4 p.m. at South Stokes High School
- Sept. 27 against Carver at 4:30 p.m. at Carver High School
- Sept. 28 against North Stokes at 4 p.m. at South Stokes High School
- Sept. 29 against Forbush at 4:30 p.m. at Forbush High School
- Oct. 4 against Surry Central at 4 p.m. at South Stokes High School
- Oct. 6 against West Stokes at 4 p.m. at South Stokes High School
Aila Boyd may be reached at 336-415-2210.