According to coach Kent Mendenhall, the South Stokes High School girls golf team is headed towards steady improvements in preparation for the conference tournament.
“The girls are playing good, I’m pleased,” Mendenhall said of the four player team.
The team is composed of Anna Cheek, sophomore, Ashleigh Washburn, Mallory Tedder, captain, and Rachel Fenner.
Mendenhall explained the season is moving very quickly and will end in mid-October.
“I would at least like to get a few of them to regionals,” Mendenhall said of his short term goals for the team.
The coach noted there are only eight players in the conference, and South Stokes team is at an advantage due to the fact that half of the conference players are from the school.
“Number wise we’re the strongest,” Mendenhall said.
The timeline for the team follows the conference tournament, regionals, and then state.
Past matches the team has played include:
- McMichael on Aug. 25, placing first out of four teams
- East Surry Invitational on Aug. 30, placing third out of seven teams
- West Piedmont 2A Conference Match 1 on Aug. 31, placing first out of four teams
“I feel like we’re right on the edge of being competitive with the region,” Mendenhall said.
According to Mendhenall, thus far one of the standout players of the team has been Rachel Fenner, having stepped up her game.
“They’re playing better,” Mendenhall said, adding that after getting a few matches under their belt, the team is beginning to hit its stride.
Upcoming matches for the team include:
- Home conference match on Sept. 14 at Hemlock Golf Club in Walnut Cove
- A match against Forbush High School on Sept. 21 at the Yadkin Country Club
- A match hosted by North Surry High School on Sept. 28 at the Cross Creek Country Club
Aila Boyd may be reached at 336-415-2210.